[ubuntu-uk] Another example of how the manufacturers conspire to ensure that if you don't use Windows you're screwed

Mark Einon mark.einon at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 23:03:51 UTC 2013

On 4 February 2013 17:03, Rowan Berkeley <rowan.berkeley at gmail.com> wrote:
> Now I have the huge print-out from the terminal which was requested, having
> somehow managed to copy it from the terminal, paste it into a notepad file,
> copy that to the external hard drive, then from there to the Lenovo, which
> is what I'm using to talk to you.
>
> Ah, ok :) for future reference, you can add ' > ~/log.txt' to the end of a command to send the output to a file called log.txt.
To be really snazzy, you can use samba to share a folder on the remote
PC, mount it and add '> ~/.gvfs/<remote mount>/log.txt' to do it all
in one go.

> Here it is. I have suspicions about the
> r8169 right at the end. I think it's a rival wireless driver that won't run
> under Ubuntu but will conflict, and hence needs blacklisting.

Only if it is a driver for the same hardware, which it is not. The
r8169 is the driver for your Realtek RTL8101E card (NOT Ralink), so
doesn't need blacklisting.

<snip>
>   *-network UNCLAIMED
>        product: Ralink corp.
>        vendor: Ralink corp.
>        physical id: 0
>        bus info: pci at 0000:04:00.0
>        version: 00
>        width: 32 bits
>        clock: 33MHz
>        capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list
>        configuration: latency=0
>        resources: memory:90110000-9011ffff

Ok. So the device doesn't have a driver loaded, so it is a kernel
issue... It knows it's a ralink device (PCI vendor ID 0x1814) but
doesn't know what the device ID is. Can you please run, to find out
what this ID is:

$> lspci --nn > ~/pcilist.txt

and copy the pcilist.txt to the email?

> rowan at rowan-Compaq-CQ58-Notebook-PC:~$ lsmod
> Module                  Size  Used by
> rt3562sta             995054  0

Hmm, this looks to be part of the Ralink vendor driver, which
shouldn't be here if we're trying to use the native kernel one. Is it
possible to remove this? ('sudo rmmod rt3562sta').

Cheers,

Mark