[ubuntu-uk] Zoostorm laptop at ebuyer.com

Paula Graham pmgazz at gmx.co.uk
Mon Feb 4 13:35:09 UTC 2013

On 02/02/13 10:30, Barry Drake wrote:
> On 01/02/13 19:28, Paula Graham wrote:
>> So, less confusingly chatty recap: 1. find and download the driver 2.
>> change to driver's folder in a terminal 3. sudo make 4. sudo
>> make-install 5. sudo modprobe [module ID] Paula
>
> Paula ....  Thanks for talking this one through in such detail. I've
> saved it for future reference.  I know what you mean about the
> problems getting the driver in the first place.  A couple or three
> years ago I bought a wifi dongle and had to compile a module.  There
> were four different drivers I found on the internet for this chipset,
> and only one of them worked.  Next kernel update, the module would not
> compile because of a deprecated function that had been removed in a
> GCC update so I had to re-write a couple of lines in the source.  The
> following kernel update incorporated the wifi chipset so I haven't had
> to bother since, but it was a pain at the time.
>
> Regards,        Barry

I Know - I just bought an Epson V37 scanner - it took me half a day to
get track down the 4 components of the driver packaged for debian (no
ubuntu debs) from two different websites which had to be installed in
the correct order - and then Ubuntu still wouldn't recognise the device
until I did a bunch more tweaking - and then there's a bug which causes
apt-get to whinge every time I update now. Went to fix it by purging the
debian drivers and compiling from source but the source for the driver
is no longer available - or if it is I can't find it. There's a
discussion on Launchpad about how someone should fix it but doesn't seem
to have got beyond the discussion stage.

Ubuntu has more drivers oob than any other OS so 9 times out of 10 the
experience is infinitely better than with Windows - but when there isn't
a native driver it really is an epic pain in the btm!

Paula