[ubuntu-uk] Another example of how the manufacturers conspire to ensure that if you don't use Windows you're screwed

Rowan Berkeley rowan.berkeley at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 12:36:00 UTC 2013

On 04/02/13 12:07, Colin Law wrote:
> On 4 February 2013 12:01, Rowan Berkeley <rowan.berkeley at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Show us the command you are typing and the error (and tell us which
>>> folder you are in in the terminal).  Preferably copy/paste it out of
>>> the terminal (Ctrl+Shift+C to copy from terminal).
>>>
>>> Colin
>>>
>> Aha - the answer was contained in the question. it couldn't find it on the
>> desktop, but it found it after I moved it to the home folder.
> Either you should have done
> cd Desktop
> or in the command specified Desktop/filename
>
> Do you know about name completion in the terminal?  If you start
> typing a filename and then hit tab it will try and complete the
> filename for you.  If it does not complete then either there are none
> matching or severeal, hit tab again and it will show you all matching
> files (if there are any).  So to put the name of a file on the desktop
> in a command type
>
> Colin
Ahem. OK. But anyway, to return to my original point and Alan's response
to it, there's nothing to unzip. It's just a single, integrated MS-DOS
executable, very nice for Windows people but useless for Ubuntu people
unless they decide to install WINE, which is not recommended just for
one pesky Windows program. So, the situation is, Hewlett Packard's own
solution for this driver problem not only is useless to me, but it
doesn't even tell me what the standard name of the driver in the package
is, so that I can find it elsewhere. I think I know what it is, from
people at Ubuntu Forums, but when I follow the standard procedure for
installing the one they recommend, I get stuck somehow. And indeed it's
a waste of other mail list readers' time me going on about this here,
when I could go to Ubuntu Forums and ask for help there, so I shall do
that. Thanks anyway to all who tried...