[ubuntu-uk] Websites and your PC hardware details

Simon Greenwood sfgreenwood at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 14:05:34 UTC 2013

On 3 February 2013 13:55, Byte Soup <bytesoup at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 3, 2013 10:53 AM, "Simon Greenwood" <sfgreenwood at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On 3 February 2013 10:34, Byte Soup <bytesoup at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> oops! I posted the wrong link, it was from a related link at the bottom
> of that page
> >>
> >> http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21058994
> >>

> > That's almost certainly specfically related to Windows as Windows is the
> only OS that I'm aware that binds its licencing to machine components. The
> article is far too vague (and was factually incorrect but was corrected) to
> really say anything concrete about the phenomenon but the screenshot
> indicates that they were having issues with some Blizzard games, so it's
> probably a DRM issue with game clients rather than browsers.
> >

> That's what I was thinking it is a vague article. I just wondered what
> kind of information our browsers gave up about us when running Linux

 To reiterate, the article appears not to be about browsers, but game
clients, which are a different issue altogether. I can't say with any
certainty what information is sent from browsers that run on Linux but if
you were interested enough, the source code is available for most, if not
all of them, if you wanted to find out. For that matter, a bit of packet
sniffing would also tell you what is going in and out.

s/

Twitter: @sfgreenwood
"TBA are particularly glib"