[ubuntu-uk] Websites and your PC hardware details

Rowan Berkeley rowan.berkeley at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 10:39:17 UTC 2013

On 03/02/13 10:16, Byte Soup wrote:

> Hi all, just wanted to get the Ubuntu UK list take on this story from
> the BBC below
>
> http://bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21304049
> <http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21304049>
>
> Yes the guy was using windows, but will our browsers also give up this
> sort of info down to the hardware level when running a Linux box too?
> I know we can use a user agent switcher on some browsers, but I'm
> wondering what is given up by default. Perhaps it's just something
> particular to windows?
>
> Thanks
>
> Mark

Foreign affairs is my main interest, and I have become very cynical
about it. There has been what the media call "a steady drumbeat" of
stories about Chinese hackers going on for years. I regard them all as
basically fabricated by the companies concerned, in conjunction with the
Pentagon's CYBERCOM, which is all about information manipulation.
Occasionally I encounter these US govt cyber troopers on my blog, and
they are absolutely bare faced liars, in my view. The US is very busily
manufacturing casus belli (fourth declension plural casus, long u) with
China, if you hadn't noticed. It's the next big target.