[ubuntu-uk] Zoostorm laptop at ebuyer.com

Barry Drake ubuntu-advertising at gmx.com
Sat Feb 2 10:30:34 UTC 2013

On 01/02/13 19:28, Paula Graham wrote:
> So, less confusingly chatty recap: 1. find and download the driver 2.
> change to driver's folder in a terminal 3. sudo make 4. sudo
> make-install 5. sudo modprobe [module ID] Paula

Paula ....  Thanks for talking this one through in such detail. I've
saved it for future reference.  I know what you mean about the problems
getting the driver in the first place.  A couple or three years ago I
bought a wifi dongle and had to compile a module.  There were four
different drivers I found on the internet for this chipset, and only one
of them worked.  Next kernel update, the module would not compile
because of a deprecated function that had been removed in a GCC update
so I had to re-write a couple of lines in the source.  The following
kernel update incorporated the wifi chipset so I haven't had to bother
since, but it was a pain at the time.

Regards,        Barry