[ubuntu-uk] SOT - PIM question.

Simon Greenwood sfgreenwood at gmail.com
Sun Dec 29 10:25:41 UTC 2013

Hello -

Do you want to replace the Exchange service or use Exchange and access it
from Ubuntu? Ultimately, Exchange does expose standard mail, authentication
and calendar protocols as well as its proprietary interfaces so you could
just use Thunderbird on the desktop and something like Funambol(1) on
mobile systems as long as your host lets you enable the Exchange IMAP, CAL
and LDAP interfaces.

For a true open source alternative you can look at hosted Zimbra(2) or
Icewarp(3), or Zoho Office(4) for a full featured web side service but
ultimately I've ended up with Google after trying lots of these as It Just
Works. If you're concerned about your data you can download it all and
store it elsewhere. I've found that anything else is really too much work
for what it's worth.

s/

1. http://www.funambol.com
2. http://www.zimbra.com
3. http://www.icewarp.com
4. http://www.zoho.com

On 29 December 2013 09:49, Gordon C Burgess-Parker <gordonbp55 at gmail.com>wrote:

> I have my own domain name, and a hosted Exchange service so email,
> contacts, tasks and calendar sync seamlessly with my phone, kindle and
> Windows laptop.
> I'm really struggling to find software on Ubuntu that will do the same.
> Can anyone suggest anything I could look at or do to enable me to use
> Ubuntu instead of Windows? (I don't want to go down the Google route if I
> can help it)
>
> Cheers
> Gordon

Twitter: @sfgreenwood