[ubuntu-uk] using workspaces.

David King linuxman at avoura.com
Wed Dec 11 12:25:16 UTC 2013

On 08/12/13 00:06, Andres wrote:
> I seem to recall configureing atl+tab to cycle through all programs
> independantly of which workspace they are in. I can look it up if
> useful. It should be only useful if you run a small amount of programs
> at the samd time. Also, if I remember correctly, you can 'tear' out a
> tab from a web browser and drag it to a new workspace as a new window.
> I think, though I have not used it, that kde (kubuntu) had the
> multiple desktops organized in activites which should do (if not, by
> tweaking) what you mentioned of 'as if it was an individual computer'.

> Then there is the virtual machine stuff that I know even less about.

For virtual machines, I recommend using Virtual Box, although you have
to do stuff to compile the Virtual Box extensions into the kernel -- it
comes with the commands you need to enter and is quite easy to do.

But with that comes the option, if you have enough RAM, to have a
different virtual machine on each workspace maybe 2 or 3, and your host
on another. Then you switch between virtual machines by switching the
workspaces.

The great thing about virtual machines is being able to try out
different versions of Linux without rebooting the PC, or even running
Windows so you can run a Windows program that will not otherwise run.
And you can save the state of the virtual machine when closing, so you
do not even have to shut down that OS, and when you restart it, it
carries on from where you left off.

David K