[ubuntu-uk] Anybody seen this, thought it might be shown, as nobody has mentioned it on here yet.....

pete smout psmouty at live.com
Wed Aug 21 08:34:31 UTC 2013

On 21/08/13 08:27, Colin Law wrote:
> On 21 August 2013 04:05, Peter Maddison <ponchorat1968 at hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> NOTE the keyword -- IF you install it.
>> Unless you NEVER use the OFFICIAL REPO and are totally careless with your system then there's a VERY high chance you could infect your system with ANY virus.
>
> I don't think that is what you meant to say, but I am not sure what
> you did mean.
>
> Colin

I think he meant UN-official repos! And I am more fussy today than i was
6 years ago when i first made the leap from windoze do Ubuntu partly
because I have now found my favourite packages, and know what I want,
partly because I am more aware of the risks!

In some ways this has narrowed my view, and I am less likely to
experiment with the latest (& possibly greatest) new thing out there,
but at least my productivity has improved ;)

in short as long as we are aware of the risks, we are (hopefully) all
intelligent enough to make an informed choice, and we just have a duty
to put the info out there to inform new users of the potential risks of
adding random PPA's so they are equally well informed.

Pete S (the first one);)