[ubuntu-uk] UEFI bios update

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Mon Apr 29 20:24:35 UTC 2013

On 29/04/13 12:45, James Morrissey wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> Thanks for getting back to me.
>
> This may work flawlessly.  However (and it's a big however) it may not.
> To combat this I would suggest that before you did anything you back
> up your systems and ensure you have install mediums for both windows 7
> and Ubuntu. This would at least mean that the systems can be
> reinstalled and your data retrieved if the worst should happen. combat this
> I would suggest that before you did anything you back
> up your systems and ensure you have install mediums for both windows 7
> and Ubuntu. This would at least mean that the systems can be
> reinstalled and your data retrieved if the worst should happen.
> - This is frustrating as all my install media are packed in a box which is
> being shipped from overseas.
>
>   I would also suggest though that if you had no issues on Quantal but
> are in Raring that it may be a kernel issue.  Just because it is
> stable for everyone else doesn't mean it is for that particular
> machine,  So I would file a bug first and see if there is any news
> from that before you go all kung-fu on the bios/uefi system.
> "ubuntu-bug linux" in a terminal will file most of the information on
> a kernel bug for you.
> - I thought as much, but the first instruction under filling bugs is that
> you update your BIOS (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs)
>
> Anyway, i have now filed a bug (
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1174275).
>
> If anyone has any other advice i'd welcome it.

The question comes to mind that although in principle the uefi 'bios'
should have a facility to disable uefi, at this stage of the game with
a number of things unproven and unpractised, the worst that could
happen is that uefi is installed, enabled, and the disable uefi is not
working properly. If this should happen, would it be possible to
refalsh the bios back to its existing state I wonder?

--
alan cocks