[ubuntu-uk] motherboard and cpu for Ubuntu

Tyler J. Wagner tyler at tolaris.com
Fri Apr 26 15:26:33 UTC 2013

On 2013-04-26 12:21, norman silverstone wrote:
> I intend to update the hardware in my PC and would be most grateful if you
> could point me to the most useful source of information which would help me
> to decide on a motherboard, cpu combination which would be good for Ubuntu
> and Xubuntu. Alternatively, any personal advice would be most useful. Thanks

I would expect ANY CPU to work from Intel or AMD. As for motherboard, most
of those work too. The gotchas are:

- The newest Ethernet and wifi chipsets from Broadcom, including rebranded
ones from Dell. These usually work 6 months after release.

- Very recent nVidia graphics hardware. nVidia is generally slow to catch
up with changes in the X server and newer kernels, and their drivers are
closed-source.

If it's Intel (CPU, video, or Ethernet), it'll just work.

Regards,
Tyler

--
"When a claim is falsified in science [...], it is discarded. It is put
in the trashbin of bad ideas. When a claim of religion is falsified,