[ubuntu-uk] Sorely disappointed with U1 Music Store

Bod Soutar bodsda at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 16 21:25:58 UTC 2013

On Apr 15, 2013 8:59 PM, "SuperEngineer" <boosys at gmail.com> wrote:

> update on:
> > > ...AND THE WORRYING BIT....
> > > my bank account has now been debited with two pending purchases
> > exactly matching the failed Ubuntu One Music Store amounts.
>
> Just got home & have checked bank account & mail.
> Bank account still showing available verses actual difference of exactly
> the amount of the two "an error has occurred" attempts; not fully
> debited but money not available.
>
> Mail had a 2nd [identical to first] receipt informing of the [successful
> transaction eventually done by using the web page, not RhythmBox, as a
> check to attempt to find out what this "error" was!].
> So two identical receipts for same transaction...
> leaving me with 1 purchase through U1, 1 payment due & taken, 2 payments
> of the same amount no longer available but not yet gone anywhere.
>
> If that's not enough info to give when I eventually get home early
> enough to take action... well....
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Bill B. [SuperEngineer]

get the problem resolved. If you get over the fact that you used ubuntu to
make this purchase then the steps seem fairly obvious.

If the money has not left your account yet, then contact your bank.

If the money has left your account, contact ubuntu one support.

I agree that the error message could have been more informative, but as a
programmer I can also testify to the impractical chore of designing error
messages for every eventuality. It's just not possible with an integrated
system, therefore its better that "some error" did get displayed rather
than passing silently.

As for the bug report, you don't have enough info to file anything that
will get looked at, at best the bug will sit there for a while until one of
the maintainers buys something and closes it because they can't reproduce.
Your best bet is to report the problem to whoever took the payment and let
them work out what went wrong.

Bodsda