[ubuntu-uk] HDMI

Simon Greenwood sfgreenwood at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 19:51:25 UTC 2013

On 16 April 2013 20:08, Rob Beard <rob at esdelle.co.uk> wrote:

>  On 15/04/13 22:16, Simon Greenwood wrote:
>

> On 15 April 2013 21:44, Ken Adams <adams.ken.j at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Is it possible to have multiple HDMI outputs from a single port with a
>> splitter and multiple monitors, OR, multiple HDMI ports with a monitor
>> each, all with a different workspace on and therefore a different
>> program showing on each monitor?
>>
>> Currently using 12.10 on a laptop with 1 HDMI and planning to buy a
>> desktop to put 13.04 or above on.
>>
>> I think I have made that clear!!!:)
>>

>  Multiple HDMI cards are available but very expensive. I currently use
> DVI->HDMI on one monitor and HDMI->HDMI on the other on a single (cheap)
> NVIDIA card and I believe my colleague now has a four monitor setup with a
> high spec card which cost about £2k. Splitting a signal from an output will
> only result in a lower quality duplicated signal.
>
>  Simon
>

> I'd say it depends what you need it for.  I presume a £2k card would be
> something rather specific (a place I used to work at did a lot of CAD work
> and has really high end Nvidia Quadro cards) but for multiple monitors, you
> could get a couple of cheap Geforce cards (as you have done) and use the
> DVI and HDMI outputs, or maybe a multi output card.
>
> eBuyer.com do an NVidia Geforce 610 card with 4 x DVI outputs for £70...
> http://tinyurl.com/cjmdzsv
>
> I also gather that Displayport displays can be daisychained, maybe that
> could be another option (might also be feasable for some laptops).
>
> Failing that, it is possible to get a USB to HDMI/DVI adaptor although
> I've only used them on Windows, but I gather some of them do support
> Linux... http://plugable.com/products/uga-2k-a

That multiple DVI card looks promising. and if I had the remotest reason to
do it I would. Fortunately I don't :)

Four monitors does need a fair bit of horsepower though, and I think my
colleague ended up with a Quadro 2000 and it took a few days and I think it
only works with 12.10 or above but it does work.

s/
--
Twitter: @sfgreenwood
"TBA are particularly glib"