[ubuntu-uk] HDMI

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Tue Apr 16 19:08:09 UTC 2013

On 15/04/13 22:16, Simon Greenwood wrote:

> On 15 April 2013 21:44, Ken Adams <adams.ken.j at gmail.com
> <mailto:adams.ken.j at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Is it possible to have multiple HDMI outputs from a single port with a
>     splitter and multiple monitors, OR, multiple HDMI ports with a monitor
>     each, all with a different workspace on and therefore a different
>     program showing on each monitor?
>
>     Currently using 12.10 on a laptop with 1 HDMI and planning to buy a
>     desktop to put 13.04 or above on.
>
>     I think I have made that clear!!!:)
>

> Multiple HDMI cards are available but very expensive. I currently use
> DVI->HDMI on one monitor and HDMI->HDMI on the other on a single
> (cheap) NVIDIA card and I believe my colleague now has a four monitor
> setup with a high spec card which cost about £2k. Splitting a signal
> from an output will only result in a lower quality duplicated signal.
>
> Simon

I'd say it depends what you need it for.  I presume a £2k card would be
something rather specific (a place I used to work at did a lot of CAD
work and has really high end Nvidia Quadro cards) but for multiple
monitors, you could get a couple of cheap Geforce cards (as you have
done) and use the DVI and HDMI outputs, or maybe a multi output card.

eBuyer.com do an NVidia Geforce 610 card with 4 x DVI outputs for £70...
http://tinyurl.com/cjmdzsv

I also gather that Displayport displays can be daisychained, maybe that
could be another option (might also be feasable for some laptops).

Failing that, it is possible to get a USB to HDMI/DVI adaptor although
I've only used them on Windows, but I gather some of them do support
Linux... http://plugable.com/products/uga-2k-a

Rob