[ubuntu-uk] Life without unity

Gareth France gareth.france at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 18:16:04 UTC 2013

I now have gotten Gnome Shell working fully and I have had a few days
with it I thought I would share my experience as it's all relevant to
the topic.

1. It's great that they've added a dock to the shell window (I forget
what it's actually called) but I'm very much a task switcher, many of
the jobs I'm doing involve copying text or checking what is displayed in
several running applications. It makes life so much easier to have a
dock or taskbar in constant view, even if set to auto hide.

2. When aiming for the file menu it's far too easy to knock the hot spot
over the activities menu in the top left

3. I find the network manager is somewhat ambiguous when displaying the
status of 3g connections. I sincerely hope that's a bug rather than by
design but it seems to show the signal strength when not connected,
making it look connected.

4. In Ubuntu at least there are a number of notifications which just
look ugly, out of keeping with the gnome shell style, such as the locked
screen.

I know I'm commenting very early on in my use of Gnome Shell but at this
stage Unity seems to get in my way far less.