[ubuntu-uk] Dual boot 12.10 64bit

andres a75576 at alumni.tecnun.es
Wed Apr 3 06:01:37 UTC 2013

Hi did this message get to people on the mailing list?

########
Dual boot 12.10 64bit
Mar 26, 2013; 10:02pm — by Andres Muniz Andres Muniz
Hello all,
I just tried to help a friend install ubuntu12.04 64bit on an hp laptop. The
laptop has windows7 64 bit it seems to have a 1meg partition, a 200meg
partition, the recovery stuff that windows seems to do nowadays and the
actual windows partition. This last partition was reduced to 100+gb leaving
400+gb of fat32 that he planned using as an exchange drive between windows
and ubuntu.

We inserted an ubuntu disc 64bit and it did not offer to install ubuntu side
by side. We deliberated about resizing the fat32 partition with the
installer but decided against it. Documentation and/or askUbuntu seems to
sugest it is better to partition using windows tools so it does not get
confused. We went back to windows and re sized 100+gb drive and left 20gb of
unallocated space. For some reason the resizing tool on windows did not work
on the fat32.
Went back to the ubuntu disk and it still did not offer side by side option
so we went for manual. But the 20gb of in allocated space was not there. At
this point our 2hr of allocated time was up. But we are at a bit of a dead
end.

As a bit of history he was running wubi. We uninstalled it from windows but
there still is a left over ubuntu option that does not work. But that is not
a problem now.

My question is: how do i get the installer to ask us to install ubuntu side
by side as it used to?

As a bonus, when he gets ubuntu installed, how does he get rid if the wubi
chooser left over?

Thanks!