[ubuntu-uk] problem with Radeon driver and screen resolution

David King linuxman at avoura.com
Tue Sep 25 16:54:06 UTC 2012

On 21/09/12 02:41, A wrote:
> Hi, David. I've had similar issues to you before and i'd suggest you
> install the proprietary drivers (fglrx) (it automatically blacklists
> the radeon driver to avoid conflicts) and then do the following
> command (sudo aticonfig --initial) before you restart, because this
> command will generate a fresh xorg.conf file which will make the fglrx
> module responsible for the screen. If that works, you can then edit
> the xorg.conf and change the resolution to something higher etc At any
> rate, it should list available resolutions.
> I hope this works for you if you haven't solved your problem already :)
>
> 4. Install the driver with
>
> sudo apt-get install fglrx fglrx-amdcccle
>
> 5. Generate a fresh xorg.conf BEFORE REBOOTING!
>
> sudo aticonfig --initial

Thanks for the info, A. I tried what you suggested and it worked.
Although I now have a logo on the bottom right of the screen which says
"AMD Unsupported hardware" which I would like to get rid of.

On the plus side, I can attach my HD TV and use that at its full
resolution and have my smaller monitor at a suitable resolution for it.

I also found that I could not run the AMD Catalyst Control Center as
root from the menu, I had to do it from CLI:

sudo amdcccle

At least it all works now and when I upgrade my monitor to the same size
as my TV I will use both at 1920 x 1080.

David K