[ubuntu-uk] Ayatana / Lens searches for tokens only

Alan Bell alan.bell at libertus.co.uk
Tue Sep 25 16:44:30 UTC 2012

lenses listen to the seach query, they get a callback when it changes.
They can then use what the user has typed in whatever way they want to
get results. This means that one could be doing a substring search,
others an exact match, others case insensitive etc. So if it isn't doing
a very good search this is a bug in the individual lens, not a general
thing across all of them. There is a tradeoff between fuzzyness and
accuracy. Personally I am pretty unimpressed with the results of fuzzy
searches (like the HUD does) because it produces random unexpected
results that kind of anticipate me failing to type stuff correctly. If I
typed "and" I would *not* expect something starting with H to get in the
way of what I was actually looking for, if I wanted something starting
with H I would have typed it.

--
Libertus Solutions http://libertus.co.uk