[ubuntu-uk] problem with Radeon driver and screen resolution

David King linuxman at avoura.com
Tue Sep 18 21:43:14 UTC 2012

I am having some problems with drivers for my graphics card. It is a
Sapphire Radeon HD 7750, and I am using a fresh install of Ubuntu Studio
12.04, updated online after installing.
When I install the proprietary drivers for it, and then reboot, I get a
blank screen instead of the login screen.

I tried the following from the CLI:

apt-get remove --purge fglrx fglrx_* fglrx-amdcccle* fglrx-dev*
xorg-driver-fglrx
apt-get remove --purge xserver-xorg-video-ati xserver-xorg-video-radeon
apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-ati
apt-get install --reinstall libgl1-mesa-glx libgl1-mesa-dri
xserver-xorg-core
mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup

This seems to get back to a basic graphics driver with limited resolutions.

Is there a way to get a driver installed that will give me a higher
resolution, specifically 1900 x 1080?

David K