[ubuntu-uk] BT speedtester and java

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Sun Oct 21 21:01:08 UTC 2012

On 21 October 2012 21:28, Tony Arnold <tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk> wrote:

> On 21/10/12 20:25, Colin Law wrote:
>> On 21 October 2012 18:20, Tony Arnold <tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk> wrote:
>>> Colin,

>>> Both will work. icedtea-plugin depends on icedtea-6-plugin. I presume
>>> when Java 7 becomes the default icedtea-plugin will eventually depend on
>>> icedtea-7-plugin!
>>
>> I see.  I had not noticed that there is a generic icedtea-plugin.
>> Perhaps I should remove the version 6 and install the generic.
>> However having looked further I see that on 12.10 this will actually
>> pull in version 7 so I think I need to check how I installed java in
>> the first place.
>
> If you want to keep with the recommended versions of Java for your
> particular release then I would install default-jre and icedtea-plugin
> and let the dependencies take care of it all.
>
> You could install icedtea-plugin now without removing icedtea-6-plugin.
> It won't do any harm.
>
> if you want to keep to a version 6 of Java when you upgrade to 12.10,
> then stick with openjdk-6-jre and icedtea-6-plugin.

I am already on 12.10, and have been since an early alpha (a clean
install).  I have looked back through my notes to see how java was
installed and I see it was installed automatically when I installed
jEdit, so presumably that installed 6.  I don't use java for anything
else so I will just leave it as it is.  I have disabled the plugin in
the browsers so there should be no security issues, I can enable it
again if I need to run the speedtest again or if I find another site
that needs it.

Thanks

Colin