[ubuntu-uk] BT speedtester and java

Tony Arnold tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk
Sun Oct 21 20:28:38 UTC 2012

On 21/10/12 20:25, Colin Law wrote:
> On 21 October 2012 18:20, Tony Arnold <tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk> wrote:
>> Colin,

>>> icedtea-6-plugin in fact.
>>
>> Both will work. icedtea-plugin depends on icedtea-6-plugin. I presume
>> when Java 7 becomes the default icedtea-plugin will eventually depend on
>> icedtea-7-plugin!
>
> I see.  I had not noticed that there is a generic icedtea-plugin.
> Perhaps I should remove the version 6 and install the generic.
> However having looked further I see that on 12.10 this will actually
> pull in version 7 so I think I need to check how I installed java in
> the first place.

If you want to keep with the recommended versions of Java for your
particular release then I would install default-jre and icedtea-plugin
and let the dependencies take care of it all.

You could install icedtea-plugin now without removing icedtea-6-plugin.
It won't do any harm.

if you want to keep to a version 6 of Java when you upgrade to 12.10,
then stick with openjdk-6-jre and icedtea-6-plugin.

There have been some fairly serious security problems with Sun's
versions of Java. I've no idea how openjdk compares. Anyone know?

Regards,
Tony.
--
Tony Arnold,                        Tel: +44 (0) 161 275 6093
Head of IT Security,                Fax: +44 (0) 705 344 3082
Manchester M13 9PL.                 Email: tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk