[ubuntu-uk] SOT - Pre-installed Linux machine vendors

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Sun Oct 14 15:18:14 UTC 2012

On 13/10/12 18:00, Gordon Burgess-Parker wrote:
> Hi!
> I'm looking at the inevitable replacement of my 4 year old Toshiba
> Satellite laptop in the near future and am looking at purchasing a
> laptop pre-installed.
> I'm having grave difficulties finding any vendors in the UK other than
> Linux Emporium - are there any others?

Laptops are much more a problem than desktops, because they often have
a higher level of customisation I believe, but you do say 'laptop'

In recent years I have helped three friends buy laptops from Linux
Emporium, and in each case the service was excellent. They like you,
wanted Ubuntu preinstalled for the reasons you mention. LE are not the
cheapest  but you are buying more than just a preinstall. They have
checked ot the compatibility of course, and there is a retail
guarantee. You also will be supporting the Ubuntu wider ecosystem. Not
only that, but over the guarantee period at least one of my (non tech)
friends needed seriously heavy remote (online) support which sounded
to me like it was a warm reinstall. LE were also utterly helpful in
handing over to me as 'admin' later on. And when hard drive happened
to fail (!) in later years, they managed to capture the HD image and
replace and re image as with current user files, as if nothing had
happened. This impressed me because with at least one current Ubuntu
live CD which was tried the HD was not readable. Maybe luck, but I
have no hesitation of pointing you to LE.

Zareason USA and new zealand are interested in opening a UK branch but
  have no timescale.  They do not ship  to UK yet, which grieves me
because I would LOVE  to use them.

--
alan cocks