[ubuntu-uk] Help required with a wi-fi networking problem

A Untaintableangel at hotmail.co.uk
Thu Oct 11 13:08:52 UTC 2012

On 11/10/12 13:49, Barry Titterton wrote:
> On 11/10/12 12:57, A wrote:
>> If you've enabled precise-proposed (or precise-backports etc) then you
>> get access to some newer, developmental bugfix packages etc
>> If the fixed wpasupplicant package is then uploaded to the main
>> 'precise' repository, which is enabled by default, then all's well. I
>> like to keep all the precise-* repos enabled because it gives you access
>> to fixes and new features that have trickled through from upstream,
>> without having to jump to the next release(s).
>>
>> Short answer: i'd keep precise-proposed access enabled.
>>
>> Happy to help get your wife's connection sorted. I'm at university
>> myself and new linux users often have to sink or swim with things like
>> this: take this life jacket ;)
>>

> Thanks for the quick reply, and the reassurance.
>
> Have you had similar problems connecting to the wi-fi at your university?
>
> Durham has close links with Microsoft, and the IT department only
> offers help for problems with Microsoft software products. Their
> support for Macs is minimal and grudging, there is no general help for
> linux except for specific help for the high performance computing
> facility. There is a little linux help if you are from another
> university and trying to access the Eduroam system. My request for
> help sent to the IT Help Desk has gone unanswered.
> I had hoped to do some gentle linux evangelizing among the unbelievers
> but this rather public problem has got things off to a bad start. I
> shall have to be patient.
>
> Barry T

Well, i did have some problems at first trying to connect to the
wireless network on campus, but then i had a quick look and found
there's a certificate to use and after 5 minutes of messing around, i
figured it out and it works wonderfully.

I know - it's a bit of a mess, the current state of so called 'IT
expertise' - why, just this week my friend went to see the IT department
on campus about recovering some deleted files from linux and they didn't
have a clue. Problem solved after using 'photorec' and 'scalpel'
ourselves. It's seems like the prerequisite for being an 'IT
professional' is knowing how to click a few buttons on microsoft office
- everyone working on IT support should be familiar with at least 1
linux distro, really. The operating systems are free, and if you're
trying to help people for a living, there will be people who use this -
it costs nothing but time to learn a few commands.
They think everyone uses windows and the odd (rich) person uses a mac,
but the linux users are fringe rebels lol I would bet heavily that you
either don't get a reply, or it isn't any use when it arrives. They're
just not clued in: what you need is another linux user from the online
community or nearby.

I think UK universities (can't say what state other country's are in)
need to expand their knowledge on linux because often times the solution
is just 1 tiny command instead of a 2 page list of clicking instructions.

As far as your problem goes, a bug will come to light every now and then
when new code is added or old code is reviewed, and then it gets fixed.
I had a look at your link to the bug on launchpad and it seems to affect
the openssl package as well. Once the packages are in the repositories
and you've got those repos enabled, update and upgrade and try
connecting again. Keep us apprised of the details and we'll have it
sorted in no time - it's usually just a case of messing around with the
configurations (and it only ever gets complicated because IT departments
are NEVER specific enough about the details, whereas e.g. on your own
home network, you call the shots and you have access to specific settings.)

Try not to get discouraged because prevailing over these tiny obstacles
does pay off in the long run.