[ubuntu-uk] Poor performance with Ubuntu on my laptop

paul sutton zleap at zleap.net
Thu Oct 4 15:14:15 UTC 2012

On 04/10/12 15:54, Gareth France wrote:
> I was thrilled when I recently got a brand new laptop for the 2nd time
> in my life. It's a budget model but I figured with 4Gb DDR3 and a
> 500Gb HDD it was a massive improvement over my ageing dell which had
> only a 60Gb drive. The new machine was a catalogue purchase where they
> listed it as simply having a Pentium processor. I joked at the time
> that this either means they were too lazy to type i3 or that it comes
> with a processor from 1995! It is a Packard Bell EasyNote TK85.
>
> Little did I know how right I was! The performance is a joke! Playing
> music in Banshee while browsing web pages leads to light skipping.
> Using certain sites firefox greys out and freezes every 30 seconds or
> so! It's just not coping.
>
> I never ran Windows on it, wiping the drive before it completed the
> first boot was extremely satisfying, however having realised a
> friend's Acer 5733z is literally identical, all bar cosmetic changes
> to the trackpad, power button etc, it got me thinking. They haven't
> complained about anything on their machine. Both have the Pentium
> P6200 processor.
>
> I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 32 bit on there at the moment. I was
> wondering if someone could suggest a distro which is less podgy to
> install and see if that works any better.
>
> Thanks
> Gareth

 You could try simply installing the lubuntu desktop,  this will then
retain the advantages of ubuntu in terms of say software centre,   apt-
repositories etc,  but use the lxde desktop which is less resource
hungry.  Plus you won't have to re-install everything.

Paul

http://drupal.zleap.net
skype : psutton111

http://www.raspberrypi.org