[ubuntu-uk] Poor performance with Ubuntu on my laptop

Gareth France gareth.france at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 14:54:21 UTC 2012

I was thrilled when I recently got a brand new laptop for the 2nd time
in my life. It's a budget model but I figured with 4Gb DDR3 and a 500Gb
HDD it was a massive improvement over my ageing dell which had only a
60Gb drive. The new machine was a catalogue purchase where they listed
it as simply having a Pentium processor. I joked at the time that this
either means they were too lazy to type i3 or that it comes with a
processor from 1995! It is a Packard Bell EasyNote TK85.

Little did I know how right I was! The performance is a joke! Playing
music in Banshee while browsing web pages leads to light skipping. Using
certain sites firefox greys out and freezes every 30 seconds or so! It's
just not coping.

I never ran Windows on it, wiping the drive before it completed the
first boot was extremely satisfying, however having realised a friend's
Acer 5733z is literally identical, all bar cosmetic changes to the
trackpad, power button etc, it got me thinking. They haven't complained
about anything on their machine. Both have the Pentium P6200 processor.

I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 32 bit on there at the moment. I was wondering
if someone could suggest a distro which is less podgy to install and see
if that works any better.

Thanks
Gareth