[ubuntu-uk] scanner

Bruno Girin brunogirin at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 12:13:58 UTC 2012

On 01/10/12 12:16, George MacLeod wrote:

> On 1 October 2012 11:41, David Goldsbrough <daveg at boavon.plus.com
> <mailto:daveg at boavon.plus.com>> wrote:
>
>     I have recently purchased a Canon Pixma MG5350 wireless all-in-one
>     printer/scanner/copier.
>
>     It has been set-up without the aid of any usb cable tethering it
>     to any device.  Our household is a mixed environment with a
>     combination of Windoze Vista, Mac OS X, iPad, Windoze XP, Ubuntu, etc.
>
>     The printing function from all devices (bar the Mac - but a
>     different story) has not proved to be a problem.
>     I am though having difficulties getting Simple Scan or Xsane Image
>     Scanner working.  Both report "No scanners detected".
>
>     I have though managed to get Scangear to work which I downloaded
>     and installed from Canon when Xsane and Simple Scan was not working.
>
>     I have searched around and gone down a number of blind alleys.
>      This includes editing files in /etc/sane.d
>
>     I am running Lucid 10.04 and linix kernal 2.6.32-43-generic.
>
>     I guess this may really not be worth the bother to fix/solve -
>     after all I do have Scangear working and I have a multitude of
>     other devices to choose from - but it is the principal at stake
>     really.  There is also the issue that Ubuntu future should work
>     out of the box for such things.
>
>     Many thanks in advance for any pointers or help that might solve
>     the problem.
>
>     --
>     ubuntu-uk at lists.ubuntu.com <mailto:ubuntu-uk at lists.ubuntu.com>
>
> I have come across this problem a couple of times with Canon scanners
> normally when Xsane was updated, I found that going back one or two
> versions of Xsane got the scanner working again and of course not
> updating it when prompted.

Of course the other possibility is that because you are running 10.04
which is 2 years old, Xsane may have been updated to support your
scanner since then. Note that as there is a discussion on that same
exact scanner for Kubuntu 12.04 [1], it is very likely that this hasn't
worked before because the developers never had access to that hardware.

If you want to help, the best way to do this would be to file a bug with
details of your scanner. As you have Windows machines that work with it,
you could even try to get a snoop of Scangear when it sends and receives
requests from the scanner. The sane-devel mailing list or the IRC
channel [2] are the places to ask for help on doing that.

[1]
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/sane-devel/2012-August/030181.html

Cheers,

Bruno