[ubuntu-uk] Missing features in 12.10

Bruno Girin brunogirin at gmail.com
Sun Nov 11 00:27:15 UTC 2012

On 10/11/12 22:48, Gareth France wrote:
> On 10/11/12 22:01, Colin Law wrote:
>> On 10 November 2012 19:34, Gareth France <gareth.france at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> Just today I've found two things which don't appear to be in my
>>> install.
>>> Network tools and the old style search function. I use the search
>>> regularly
>>> and I'm not sure what to do without it.
>> Can you be more specific about which network tools you mean and which
>> search function.
>>
>> Colin
>>
> The program called network tools that has been around since day 1. It
> allowed you to look at each network connection and see that it was
> connected, how much data had been sent or received and how quickly.
> And the original search off the gnome 2 menus, to find it go into the
> dash and type search. Neither are showing up on my 12.10 install.

Both of them are available on my 12.10 install. But maybe that's because
I upgraded from 12.04 rather than install from fresh so it is possible
that the packages are no longer installed by default. To install them,
type the following in the command line:

sudo apt-get install gnome-nettool gnome-search-tool

Alternatively, you can also use the file lens to search for file:
Super-F then type your search.

Cheers,

Bruno