[ubuntu-uk] My Unity

Alan Bell alan.bell at libertus.co.uk
Thu Nov 8 13:25:55 UTC 2012

On 08/11/12 10:33, scoundrel50agmail wrote:
> Hi Does anyone know if  this is coming back to 12.10, I really liked
> that little app, if its not is there another app like it that I can
> use, that isnt compiz which every time I use I break something.....
>
> Plus talking about compiz what happened to the wobbly windows.....I
> liked that option, it seems compiz has had a huge make under where
> lots of the options have been removed now.......
>
> thanks

that little app was scary bad. Really really bad. CompizConfig Settings
Manager is the tool to use to tweak compix configuration values.
Compiz plugins each include a little XML file listing all the parameters
they have which are tweakable. ccsm reads these XML file and presents a
user interface to adjust them all. MyUnity hard coded a bunch of values
with hard coded different things to do when running on different
versions of Ubuntu, it was unmaintainable, inaccessible, nasty nasty
stuff. Read the source if you don't believe me.
There were two big problems with ccsm.

1) lots of numeric parameters included a spinner for the value and a
drag bar. People would use the mouse wheel to scroll the page up and
down, then a drag bar would move under the mouse, and because the mouse
wheel was turning this would then move the drag bar. Users would then
not know the original position of the drag bar (or even notice it had
moved so they could hit the reset to default button on the right) and
unknown things would change, possibly to a point of reduced usability.

2) The big one. people would try to turn on the cube. This in itself is
fine, however Cube conflicts with Wall. Cube and Wall both provide the
feature "LargeDesktop". The Unity plugin depends on this feature. So the
problem here is that although the ending position is fine (unity
installed and depending on cube) the dependency resolution thing meant
that Unity got turned off in the transition from wall to cube. Unity
could be turned on again in theory, but you had already lost your
desktop at that point. Unity no longer depends on largedesktop, so you
can safely turn on the cube, which will disable wall (or turn off both
if you want). It is also a bit harder to turn off the unity plugin in
general using the ccsm tool.

so, use ccsm, file bugs for the broken bits. Fix bugs if you can.

Alan.

--
Libertus Solutionshttp://libertus.co.uk