[ubuntu-uk] dual boot problem

Barry Drake ubuntu-advertising at gmx.com
Sun May 13 20:20:01 UTC 2012

On 13/05/12 21:03, Bill Baker wrote:
> Norman, please wait for further advice before trying my suggestion;
> but if this was my machine I would now boot directly to Ubuntu from
> the live CD & from there I would try "grub-install /dev/sda" [or sdx
> where x is the boot drive] from a terminal. However, *please* do wait
> for my idea to confirmed as good or rubbish before doing anything [it
> may not work with your set-up]. It is not my machine - it is yours &
> as such, deserves a 2nd opinion ;)

Maybe that on its own might work; the full sequence might be necessary.
It depends so much on where grub is - and it must be on the drive that
Noman is booting from.  And this drive must be mounted first at a known
mountpoint.

Re-install grub from live-CD
sudo -i
mount /dev/sda2 /mnt #assuming that Ubuntu is on sda2 - check with gparted
#mount /dev/sda3 /mnt/boot  #skip this one if not have a separate /boot
partition
grub-install --root-directory=/mnt/ /dev/sda

Then update-grub to complete.

The first step is usually need to access the drive.  If it is mounted
already and you know where it is mounted, you can use this as an
alternative.

Any third opinion?

Regards,        Barry.

http://ubuntuadverts.org/