[ubuntu-uk] dual boot problem

Bill Baker boosys at gmail.com
Sun May 13 20:03:09 UTC 2012

On Sun, 2012-05-13 at 20:45 +0100, Norman Silverstone wrote:
> Barry, using gparted, the HDD containing Windows XP Pro was partitioned
> as you described and all seemed well. The installation process was
> started and do something else selected. The partition allocated ext4 was
> chosen and then I was warned that I needed to indicate a boot partition
> so I chose this partition. The installation completed but, on reboot, it
> went straight into Windows. I have confirmed that the two OSs are on the
> same drive so I assume I need to do something about Grub. Still,
> progress is being made.
>
> Norman

Norman,
please wait for further advice before trying my suggestion; but if this
was my machine I would now boot directly to Ubuntu from the live CD &
from there I would try "grub-install /dev/sda" [or sdx where x is the
boot drive] from a terminal.  However, *please* do wait for my idea to
confirmed as good or rubbish before doing anything [it may not work with
your set-up].  It is not my machine - it is yours & as such, deserves a
2nd opinion ;)
--
Regards,
Bill B. [SuperEngineer]