[ubuntu-uk] dual boot problem

Andy Braben andybraben at gmail.com
Sat May 12 19:14:13 UTC 2012

On 12 May 2012 19:42, Norman Silverstone <norman at littletank.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 2012-05-12 at 18:47 +0100, Andy Braben wrote:
> >

> > On 12 May 2012 18:39, Norman Silverstone <norman at littletank.org>
> > wrote:
> >
> >         > > I have a new PC with two HDDs and I am trying to install
> >         Windows and
> >         > > Ubuntu on one of the drives keeping the other for data and
> >         so on. In the
> >         > > past I have dual booted many machines without any
> >         difficulty but this is
> >         > > the first time I have tried with a machine with 2 drives
> >         and there are
> >         > > problems. Installing XP Pro puts the OS on the main drive
> >         as expected
> >         > > but Ubuntu wants to install on the second drive and not
> >         along side
> >         > > windows.
> >         >
> >         > I have three HD's on mine and I have no problem telling
> >         Ubuntu exactly
> >         > where I want it.  There is an option in the installer to
> >         select
> >         > whichever drive you want it on.  I can't remember details
> >         without
> >         > booting into a DVD but if you can't find it, I'll do that
> >         for you.
> >

> >         Barry, I would be most grateful if you could point me in the
> >         right
> >         direction. I know that one of the options is to do something
> >         else. I
> >         have looked at that where the drives are listed but I am
> >         uncertain what
> >         to do thereafter.
>

> > You need to "Do soemthing else". From there it should tell you what
> > you have on each drive, so should clearly show where Windows is. If
> > you only have one partition on that drive and Windows is taking up the
> > whole drive, you can select to partition the drive, which I think uses
> > GParted to do it.
> >

> Andy, all I know is that if there is one drive and the installer is
> instructed to install along side Windows, then the installer partitions
> the drive accordingly and gets on with the installation. So, are you
> suggesting that, because there are two drives one of which is empty, the
> installer decides to install on the empty one rather than partition and
> install on the one with Windows? I have heard of Artificial intelligence
> but surely this is not correct.
>
> Norman

When the partitioner first comes up it asks if you want to accept any
defaults. I doubt if a default is what you want to do so you should choose
"Do something Else"  On the next screen you should see two drives listed,
one clearly marked as having Windows on it.

Can you get as far as that before going any further?

--
Regards,
Andy