[ubuntu-uk] dual boot problem

Andy Braben andybraben at gmail.com
Sat May 12 17:47:10 UTC 2012

On 12 May 2012 18:39, Norman Silverstone <norman at littletank.org> wrote:

> > > I have a new PC with two HDDs and I am trying to install Windows and
> > > Ubuntu on one of the drives keeping the other for data and so on. In
> the
> > > past I have dual booted many machines without any difficulty but this
> is
> > > the first time I have tried with a machine with 2 drives and there are
> > > problems. Installing XP Pro puts the OS on the main drive as expected
> > > but Ubuntu wants to install on the second drive and not along side
> > > windows.
> >
> > I have three HD's on mine and I have no problem telling Ubuntu exactly
> > where I want it.  There is an option in the installer to select
> > whichever drive you want it on.  I can't remember details without
> > booting into a DVD but if you can't find it, I'll do that for you.
>
> Barry, I would be most grateful if you could point me in the right
> direction. I know that one of the options is to do something else. I
> have looked at that where the drives are listed but I am uncertain what
> to do thereafter.
>
> Norman

You need to "Do soemthing else". From there it should tell you what you
have on each drive, so should clearly show where Windows is. If you only
have one partition on that drive and Windows is taking up the whole drive,
you can select to partition the drive, which I think uses GParted to do it.

--
Regards,
Andy