[ubuntu-uk] Mounting NFS shares permanently

Tyler J. Wagner tyler at tolaris.com
Sat May 12 13:03:36 UTC 2012

On 2012-05-12 10:52, mac wrote:
>> Does your NAS only support NFSv3?
>
> I doubt the NFS version is the issue:  I've got four 10.04 systems mounting
> these same NFS shares at startup perfectly correctly.

I asked that because the Ubuntu Setup guide I linked to refers to NFSv4. If
you follow that exactly, your setup will work.

My setup is upgraded from 10.10 (through each intermediate release) on the
server, and is a new install on the client.

>> portmap mountd nfsd statd lockd rquotad : 192.168.1.10 192.168.1.11
>> portmap mountd nfsd statd lockd rquotad : ALL
>
> Because portmap is deprecated now, my hosts.deny file simple has
> rpcbind : ALL

Ah, I see I need to add rpcbind to that list myself. However, other daemons
including statd are running, so they must be on the list too. Try adding
all of the above to your hosts.{allow,deny}.

> But the problem is not that I'm locked out of the shares:  rather it's that
> 'mount.nfs' appears to think that rpc.statd is not running (which can't
> depend on what's in hosts.deny/allow, can it???).

Or it's not able to access the daemon because it is denied by default? Not
sure about that behaviour.

> I must say, I'm a bit surprised that no one else here has experienced this
> problem with setting up NFS on 12.04 (and - because there are real
> engineers here who know acres more than me - solved it).

As I said, using the Ubuntu setup guide works fine. Try following it before
using your own steps, or switching to CIFS.

Regards,
Tyler

--
"You may not like Grandma's Thanksgiving turkey. It may be overcooked
and dry - and her stuffing salty and studded with rubbery pellets of