[ubuntu-uk] Mounting NFS shares permanently

mac ammonius.grammaticus at gmx.co.uk
Thu May 10 15:10:09 UTC 2012

Friends >>> I've been going round in circles with this, finding some old
bug reports that may be related, but no answers at all.

I mount NFS shares (served by a ReadyNAS) on my Ubuntu clients - all
five of which were, till recently, running 10.04.  As a means of getting
familiar with Unity, etc, I recently put 12.04 on to one machine.  (A
clean install, as the attempted upgrade a few weeks ago failed.)

Today, I got round to setting up the NFS shares on this 12.04 system in
my usual way:  create mount points in /media;  install portmap and
nfs-common;  lockdown portmap;  add the shares to fstab.

Of course, I discovered at once that portmap is deprecated, and rpcbind
installed instead.  So for the lockdown, I simply added "rpcbind : ALL"
to /etc/hosts.deny, and "rpcbind  : NFS server IP address" to
/etc/hosts.allow.  Otherwise, everything corresponds with what is
working under 10.04 on the other four machines.

But...  the shares on the 12.04 machine don't mount at start up.  And
when I do 'sudo mount -a' I get, for each of the shares,

mount.nfs: rpc.statd is not running but is required for remote locking.
mount.nfs: Either use '-o nolock' to keep locks local, or start statd.
mount.nfs: an incorrect mount option was specified

Of course, when I do 'sudo start statd' I get

start: Job is already running: statd

Has anyone solved this issue?  How do I get rpc.statd to start on boot?

(I should say that while I know enough to be able to follow a HowTo,
that's about as far as my skills go - so troubleshooting this for myself
is a bit of a nightmare!)

Any help will be most gratefully received!

mac