[ubuntu-uk] My experience with 12.04 upgrade

Barry Titterton barry.titterton at mail.adsl4less.com
Tue May 8 21:58:39 UTC 2012

Hi All,

Last weekend I decided to upgrade my spare laptop. It is an elderly
Toshiba Satellite Pro A120 running 32 bit 11.10 and Unity in 2D mode.
The upgrade went smoothly and here are the problems that I have found so
far:-

1. The desktop back ground went plain black. Under 11.10 I had the
default photographs set to change on a regular basis. It was no problem
to select the 12.04 default photo background, however this may be
disconcerting for a novice. May I make an enhancement suggestion that it
would have been nice if the upgrade software could have realised that I
was using the default profile and offered to set up the default
background as part of the upgrade process.

2. The launcher will not 'reveal' if there is an application, such as
Firefox, set to maximum size. The launcher will 'reveal' once all
windows have been minimised or closed. I have a work around for this
problem by setting the launcher to be permanently visible. Is this a bug
or normal behaviour for 2D Unity?

3. Rhythmbox is the default music player for 12.04. It has a feature
called Party Mode, this expands the window to full screen covering all
other windows, menus etc. The problem is that the only way to get out of
this mode is by the power button, or by using a terminal to kill the
process. This is a know bug 785631 which has been confirmed since
September 2011. I'm not impressed that an LTS has been released with
this bug still intact.

I have only had one crash so far but this is one more than I had with
11.10.

Barry T