[ubuntu-uk] Precise - some thoughts .....

Barry Drake ubuntu-advertising at gmx.com
Sun May 6 20:17:39 UTC 2012

Hi there ....  One of many things I've learned from spending time on
Ubuntu Answers and AskUbuntu is that a significant number of folk are
totally confused because they have a wubi installation.  In many cases I
have spotted this early on in the process of trying to help.  One lady
was asked (not by me) to boot from the live-DVD and click the 'Try
Ubuntu' option.  She does not get the 'Try Ubuntu' option.  To her,
booting meant putting the disk in while Windows was running.  She does
have a wubi installation with a failed upgrade that I think we may sort out.

Now, we have a significant number of ordinary folk familiar only with
Windows, wanting to try Ubuntu.  I'd like to see a change in the Autorun
behaviour under Windows.  Rather than automatically firing wubi up, I'd
like to see the autorun bring up an HTML page with several links and an
explanation about exactly what wubi is and does.  Then the suggestion
that the user ought to first try Ubuntu with full instructions as to how
to boot from a DVD in really basic terms.  Most computers these days
come with the bios options NOT set to boot from anything other than a
hard-drive.

One question I'm painfully working through is from someone who is
thinking of using wubi simply because when he starts the computer it
does not boot from the DVD.  He actually wants to try Ubuntu to see if
it's for him.  Wubi would not be right in this case, and BIOS settings
are a foreign word to him.  I'm trying really hard to explain with
little success so far, what they are about.

Any thoughts on this from you guys?

Regards,        Barry.

http://ubuntuadverts.org/