[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu beginners course in North Tyneside

Gareth France gareth.france at gmail.com
Sat May 5 18:32:08 UTC 2012

Gareth:

> My teenagers and 19-24 students can sort Unity in a minute or two when I
> lend them my little 1024/600px netbook in lessons. The adults struggle a
> bit to be honest. Would need an overview/explanation, but a 10 week course
> would be great.

So because we find something difficult we should shy away from learning it,
even though that's the way things are going to be from now on? Teaching
people to use Ubuntu with Gnome 2 is rather akin to telling people you'll
teach them to use a PC by using a typewriter. Unity is here and it's
staying, so anyone learning to use Gnome 2 will either end up using Mint,
or have to learn everything over again for Unity.

Saying that takes me back to my school days, when Windows 3.1 and Microsoft
office were standard I was being taught how to use the BBC Micro and
Acorns. What a waste of time that was!