[ubuntu-uk] Best way to contribute to Ubuntu? - was Re: 12.04 has locked me out of my account

Gareth France gareth.france at gmail.com
Fri May 4 14:16:45 UTC 2012

> However, I'm not sure if the developer's particularly want bugs of this
> sort reported.  The problem being that they are upstream issues and it
> seems that Ubuntu developers cannot do much about them until the fix
> trickles down, if it ever does.  The best they can do, it seems, is to keep
> marking them as Incomplete with a request to try the latest Main Line
> Kernel, something that I might be able to do, but I would need a bit of
> hand-holding.

I have to admit I gave up trying to report bugs a long time ago. It always
seems that any attempt to get involved results in me getting shouted at by
people. I have posted on forums for pre-release versions, the intention
being to say 'I'm having this issue, is anyone else seeing this?' My theory
being I should establish it's a genuine problem and not just me. But the
response I got was so harsh I just decided it wasn't worth the effort.

Some of these people seem to forget that many of us want to test and
improve and report bugs but none of us know how until we start trying. So a
little tolerance of those of us who get it wrong or ask stupid questions
should be shown. Instead you simply get told 'if you need to ask that you
shouldn't be using the beta version'.