[ubuntu-uk] update/upgrade issues and help - was12.04 has locked me out of my account

Barry Drake ubuntu-advertising at gmx.com
Fri May 4 07:59:08 UTC 2012

On 04/05/12 08:19, Alan Pope wrote:
> What specific investigations have led you to believe that update
> manager is the issue? I'm not trying to labour the point, but just
> illustrate that one mans fix is another mans cop-out.

The specific issues were very often missing data, programs that had
worked before the upgrade and either had been removed druring the
upgrade or were broken.  there were a couple of reports of random
crashes that locked up the system and gave no error message.  Not sure
if the reports were accurate though.  There were times when it was a
cop-out I agree.

But a lot of problems caused by compiz crash etc were fixed by getting
the user to change to 2D.  A bit messy as many users had opted for no
password at login ....  most of those were able to get the login method
changed OK and opt for 2D.

The reason I looked at Ubuntu answers in the first place was simply to
see where people are told to go on the Ubuntu website.  If that is no
longer the best place to go for help, the website ought to reflect that
surely?

Regards,        Barry.

http://ubuntuadverts.org/