[ubuntu-uk] 12.04 has locked me out of my account

Alan Pope alan.pope at canonical.com
Fri May 4 07:19:14 UTC 2012

On 04/05/12 00:08, Barry Drake wrote:
> The folk I've been helping out on the Ubuntu answers pages are for
> the most part hardly able to understand the commandline and are
> initially angry.

Who said anything about the command line? It's all about how you frame
your answers.

I spent months working on answers.launchpad.net - to the point where
I'd clocked up more 'karma' on launchpad than any developer through
answering questions alone. I encountered many people who had all kinds
of errors in their systems. With a bit of time and patience it's
possible to fix pretty much anything without resorting to reinstalling.

To be honest I've given up on answers.launchpad.net years ago.
Askubuntu is a far better platform for providing solutions than pretty
much anything else in my opinion. However as people are still using
it, it makes sense to continue to answer their questions.

> Most of them are very happy to re-install because it is so easy and
> quick.  Yes, I agree it doesn't teach us anything if we handle it
> that way - but it does get satisfied customers.

One satisfied customer who happened to find answers.launchpad.net
means potentially 10 or 100 unsatisfied customers who didn't, and just
wiped their machine and reinstalled Windows because Ubuntu is "too hard".

> OTOH the questions I've been fielding are entirely due to a borked
> upgrade using the update manager.  There really does seem to be a
> problem there.

What specific investigations have led you to believe that update
manager is the issue?

I'm not trying to labour the point, but just illustrate that one mans
fix is another mans cop-out.

Cheers,
- --
Alan Pope