[ubuntu-uk] Best way to contribute to Ubuntu? - was Re: 12.04 has locked me out of my account

Piskie ub.untu at btinternet.com
Fri May 4 06:21:54 UTC 2012

On 04/05/12 07:00, kpb wrote:
> On 03/05/12 23:22, Alan Pope wrote:
>> If everyone just re-installed the OS whenever the wind changed
>> direction we'd end up with a significantly worse OS as a result. When
>> everyone keeps telling everyone else to reinstall, we end up with the
>> state that Windows is in. Everyone thinks that's the solution, and it
>> isn't, by some margin. My advice is if you don't know how to fix
>> something, find someone who does, don't just bulldoze the house down
>> and build another one when a pipe leaks.
> Hello Alan and all
>
> Right ok, this has challenged a basic assumption I have been making
> since the days of 6.06/8.04. Assumptions are meant to be challenged of
> course, so that's fine.
>
> I have always had a separate /home and reinstalled when changing
> version. I have done that partially because that was the advice when
> using Mac OS before I started using Ubuntu, and partially from advice
> about Ubuntu that was around then.
>
> During 12.04 testing there were appeals from Canonical people and
> Ubuntu members to get involved in iso testing, especially installation
> using 'default settings', so I did.
>
> What would be the best way to contribute during the 12.10 cycle? Are
> you suggesting that I should have a test box that I keep 12.04 on and
> then try upgrading it to 12.10 at regular intervals? My recollection
> is that an upgrade path does not become available until late in testing.

You can upgrade now - I have a 12.10 partition up.

I use these commands to do so

sudo sed -i 's/precise/quantal/g' /etc/apt/sources.list

sudo apt-get update&&  sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

I follow the u+1 sub-forum on ubuntuforums as well - tend to have a look
prior to any updates after that.

http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=416

Hope that helps

Piskie