[ubuntu-uk] 12.04 Installer Doesn't Detect Partitions

Barry Drake ubuntu-advertising at gmx.com
Wed May 2 16:19:44 UTC 2012

On 02/05/12 15:53, Joe Alam wrote:
> I gave TestDisk a go (as recommended by a message in GParted) and I
> got a message saying that space conflicts between two of my
> partitions. Could this be what the problem is? Does anybody know how
> to fix that?

If gparted sees only unallocated space, I wouldn't try to fix it, simple
cut your losses and re-install Windows formatting the entire disk,
followed by the usual procedure for making it dual boot.  I don't know
TestDisk.  Does is have any tools to do a fix?  I think it needs to
re-allocate the space in the LBA partition to the NTFS partition and
lose the LBA entirely.  The interesting thing would be to know how this
happened.  Naturally it must have been Microsoft's fault?  I have never
heard of LBA being used outside of the world of Microsoft, so I wonder
if the LBA partition might originally have been a recovery hidden
partition on the original installation.  Just guessing though.

Regards,        Barry.

http://ubuntuadverts.org/