[ubuntu-uk] 12.04 Installer Doesn't Detect Partitions

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Wed May 2 08:32:56 UTC 2012

On 02/05/12 01:41, Joe wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> Yet another poor person having trouble installing Ubuntu 12.04,
> unfortunately :(.
>
> Using the graphical installer on the LiveCD (clicking Install
> shortcut on desktop) when asked how to install partition-wise
> there's no option to overwrite Ubuntu 11.04 (not a big deal, but
> I'm sure there's supposed to be some kind of similar option). The
> bigger problem is, though, that when selected to choose the layout
> manually, my current partitions are not detected, which leaves
> formatting the entire drive as my only option. As happy as I would
> be if I could do this and completely remove Windows, I do need
> Windows for some work stuff, so I'm stuck unable to install 12.04
> unless I can sort this out.

health warning:
On the occasions that a windows partition has not been recognised, or
has not been accepted readily by say, gparted, I have found that there
have been some sort of problem with the windows partition or the
filesystem. At worst, the disc itself was giving bad sectors. I hope
this is not the situation for you, but if it is, make sure your
important files are backed up well (twice) and, from windows do
standard stuff like checkdisk (chkdsk?) maybe do this more than once.
If the apparent ubuntu trouble then persists then  make efforts to
check the HD itself - if the ubuntu live cd runs ok then in live
session , use the 'disk utility' to show its health

good luck

--
alan cocks