[ubuntu-uk] Problem installing

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Wed May 2 01:46:25 UTC 2012

On 1 May 2012 21:13, David Smith <Dave at p3computers.com> wrote:

> Now without getting drawn in to a huge debate about Unity, I'm going to see how to disable it tomorrow and have something resembling 10.10.  But I want to add my two cents.  You wouldn't use a smartcar to plough a field,  You wouldn't use a tractor for city-driving.  What works on a touchscreen portable device does not work on a desktop.  Is the Windows 8 Metro UI going to divide MS users as much as Unity has divided Ubuntu users?

Unity is /not/ a touchscreen interface. Go play with an Android phone
or an iPad or a Windows 7 device and you will see that touchscreen
interfaces are totally different beasts.

Unity is basically a ripoff, I mean, lovingly inspired by the Apple
Mac OS X desktop and Dock, and as someone who has been using that
regularly for a decade now, I can assure you that it is a competent,
powerful and flexible *DESKTOP* interface for machines with a mouse
and a keyboard.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884