[ubuntu-uk] Annoying stuff about Ubuntu Unity

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Tue May 1 20:50:21 UTC 2012

On 01/05/12 15:29, Alan Lord (News) wrote:
> On 01/05/12 14:38, Tyler J. Wagner wrote:
>>
>>  However, you can create a launcher in ~.local/share/applications, give it
>>  an icon, and execute the launcher in nautilus. Then once it is running,
>>  right-click on the launcher icon and "Lock to Launcher". After that Unity
>>  seems to index ~/.local/share/applications (or at least that one application).
>
> Thanks Tyler,
>
> I had already created some desktop files, one for Talend&  one for
> eclipse (the deb packaged eclipse won't allow certain updates so I just
> run a clean one from my ~/bin) but hadn't realised that starting it from
> nautilus was the trick.
>
> I appreciate it. I now have a launcher icon for Talend which seems to
> start it ok.
>
> However, I then minimised my app and the little arrow disappeared from
> my Talend launcher icon and clicking on it it tries to start a new
> instance of the app.
>
> This *really* shouldn't be so hard!

I created a launch icon on the desktop yesterday and there were a
bunch of ways to do this I discovered, some very esoteric. I chose an
easy way (for me).

my forums question and thread:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11894085&postcount=1
which I had used the nice suggestions  in:
http://askubuntu.com/a/128284
(As you might see i had a supplementary need to run my script inside a
terminal, wwhich I did find how to do)

Desktop and select Create New Document.
Edit the file with Gedit and add the following lines:
[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Save the file and THEN rename it to whatever you want *but* at the end
of the name add      .desktop, For example if wanted to make a
shortcut for a wine program like photoshop I would put as a name
photoshop.desktop
Now you should be able to right click the file and edit the file
Launcher Properties, in my case I added the command to run  my script
in a terminal (etc etc)

At this stage it is possible now to drag the icon, now a launcher
icon, into the main Launcher at the left hand side, if wished. Mine
goes in as Un-named, needs more work but I do not want mine in the
launcher just yet anyway
hth

--
alan cocks