[ubuntu-uk] Problem installing

David Smith Dave at p3computers.com
Tue May 1 20:13:13 UTC 2012

 Figured it out for myself!!  Took a guess on it needing the proprietary nvidia drivers.

With some trial and error, booted to recovery mode, enabled networking, ran the dpkg fixer (forget the exact name it gave it) which also applied all updates, dropped into a command prompt, and used jockey-text (the CLI version of the additional drivers installer) and ran some commands recommended on a website, to list the drivers available, download and install them!

jockey-text -l
jockey-text -e xorg:nvidia_current

Waited 10 minutes for command prompt to reappear, rebooted, shouted Hallelujah!!

Now without getting drawn in to a huge debate about Unity, I'm going to see how to disable it tomorrow and have something resembling 10.10.  But I want to add my two cents.  You wouldn't use a smartcar to plough a field,  You wouldn't use a tractor for city-driving.  What works on a touchscreen portable device does not work on a desktop.  Is the Windows 8 Metro UI going to divide MS users as much as Unity has divided Ubuntu users?

Dave Smith
Windows technician and Ubuntu aficionado.