[ubuntu-uk] Annoying stuff about Ubuntu Unity

Alan Lord (News) alanslists at gmail.com
Tue May 1 14:29:39 UTC 2012

On 01/05/12 14:38, Tyler J. Wagner wrote:

> However, you can create a launcher in ~.local/share/applications, give it
> an icon, and execute the launcher in nautilus. Then once it is running,
> right-click on the launcher icon and "Lock to Launcher". After that Unity
> seems to index ~/.local/share/applications (or at least that one application).

Thanks Tyler,

I had already created some desktop files, one for Talend & one for
eclipse (the deb packaged eclipse won't allow certain updates so I just
run a clean one from my ~/bin) but hadn't realised that starting it from
nautilus was the trick.

I appreciate it. I now have a launcher icon for Talend which seems to
start it ok.

However, I then minimised my app and the little arrow disappeared from
my Talend launcher icon and clicking on it it tries to start a new
instance of the app.

This *really* shouldn't be so hard!

Al

--