[ubuntu-uk] Annoying stuff about Ubuntu Unity

Tyler J. Wagner tyler at tolaris.com
Tue May 1 13:38:44 UTC 2012

On 2012-05-01 15:29, Colin Law wrote:
>> Anyone got any workarounds/suggestions for this scenario?
>
> If you open the dash and search for the app does it find it?  If so
> then run it that way, and you can pin it to the launcher if you want
> to.
>
> If not then create a .desktop file to launch it with, then that will
> appear in the launcher.  In that case arguably it is the app that is
> pea-brained for not coming with a .desktop file to launch it.  Or
> perhaps there is one but you have not found it.

This is harder with Unity in 12.04. You cannot pin something from the dash
anymore, nor does Unity find .desktop files in ~/.local/share/applications
automatically.

However, you can create a launcher in ~.local/share/applications, give it
an icon, and execute the launcher in nautilus. Then once it is running,
right-click on the launcher icon and "Lock to Launcher". After that Unity
seems to index ~/.local/share/applications (or at least that one application).

You still cannot launch from the CLI (with an icon), thanks to xdg-open's
never-ending bug.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xdg-utils/+bug/378783

Alan, I really, really feel your pain. I just left Maverick as well. I had
hoped Unity was mature enough, but it feels like KDE 4.0 all over again.

Regards,
Tyler

--
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without
evidence."