[ubuntu-uk] Problems printing PDFs from Adobe Reader

David King linuxman at avoura.com
Fri Mar 30 17:45:32 UTC 2012

Has anyone else recently had difficulties in printing PDF files from
Adobe Reader in Ubuntu?

I am finding that printing to my laser printer (Brother HL-5150D) is not
always working from Adobe Reader (9.4.7). It used to work perfectly. I
like to use this for its booklet printing facility, which the FOSS PDF
readers lack. The laser printer just starts flashing its red light,
which means there is an error, but I have no idea what the error is.
CUPS has not given me any clues either.

I can print the same files normally from Document Viewer 2.32.0, but not
as booklets, which for most PDFs is fine.

But when I want to print a booklet, I find I have to go into Windows
(via VirtualBox) and use the Windows version of Adobe Reader to print to
PDF as a booklet, and then in Ubuntu print that new PDF as a normal PDF.

The PDFs are nothing special, mostly text, some just text and no
graphics of any kind.

Is there a PDF reader in Linux that can do booklet printing?

I am using Ubuntu 10.10 (I know it is old now, I plan to move to a later
version soon).

David King