[ubuntu-uk] Free lunch?

Grant Phillips-Sewell dcglug at cornwall-it.co.uk
Sun Mar 25 10:47:33 UTC 2012

On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 11:06:04 +0100
alan c wrote:

> On 24/03/12 11:08, Chris Penston wrote:
>
> [snip of really good stuff]
>
> >  People tend to be impressed by the novelty
> > that they have a choice.  Almost always, the reaction is
> > astonishment that something can be so good without costing anything
> > 'so there must be a catch'.
>
> Yes I find that a lot, also. It is difficult explaining that although
> there is no such thing as a free lunch (probably true), that there
> *is* Libre software.

I think I've posted on here before with my 2 principle examples. In no
particular order:

1) "Doing in their spare time? It can't be any good then":
Just because somebody does it for free (possibly in their spare
time) does not mean that it is of a lower quality than paid-for
software. Indeed many people who contribute to Free Software projects
maintain paid-for jobs doing the same thing - many Free Software
programmers have paid-for jobs writing software; many Free Software
designers have paid-for jobs doing design work. Just because they also
do so for free does not mean their Free work is of a lesser quality. A
professional footballer playing a charity match won't play any worse
because they're not getting paid for it.

2) "But they're highly-paid professionals. The average Jo(e) couldn't
do that".
Yes they can. St. John's Ambulance. Average people putting their
knowledge and skills to use helping their community.

Grant.